02 Apr How do I treat Sore Heels?
Have you ever gotten out of bed first thing in the morning and when you place your feet on the floor, your heels and/or soles are in pain? You could have what’s known as Plantar Fasciitis.
The plantar fascia is a band of connective tissue that runs along the sole from the heel to the ball of the foot. It helps keep our bones and joints in position.
- Heels and soles of feet hurt when you first get out of bed in the morning.
- Foot also hurts when you stand up after a long rest period.
- Can feel like a sharp, stabbing or burning sensation near the back of the arch, by your heel.
- The pain can disappear after moving around for a few mins, but may resume after the next rest.
- Sometimes may also have mild swelling in the heel.
Who are more susceptible and contributing factors:
- Anyone who stands for a living
- Flat footed or high arches
- Inappropriate footwear
- Supportive shoes
- Sufficient warm up prior to exercise
- Gentle Stretching of calf muscles and fascia and Achilles tendon region
- Massage of fascia, and also from heel up through calf muscle to loosen whole area
- Strengthening of calf muscles and foot muscles
- consult your massage therapist, Physiotherapist and /or Podiatrist